Thursday, May 21, 2009

GQ expose more bad Army slides of a biblical proportion

The US military have a long and proud history of, among other things, producing the most woeful graphics and slide shows on the planet. There are some pretty famous examples out there such as this one: I often wonder how people can come up with slides that are this bad, and I suppose for the most part you can put it down to the fact that people's brains work in different ways, and some people are not particularly graphically minded, that's what I like to tell myself in order to calm down.

However what I just cant get into my mind is why in the US Army, where surely some of America's best and brightest reside, they cant get something like PowerPoint right, and with that in mind I bring you to exhibit B.

GQ, the men's lifestyle magazine has recently published an article and related slide show on their website (here) of some of the cover slides for the Department of Defence's "World intelligence update". Here's one of the beauty's below

Since the leaking of these seemingly top secret documents (shouldn't someone get in trouble for this?), there has been widespread condemnation about the fact that every cover slide seems to use a quote from the bible, accompanied by pictures of either combat, or freedom bringing troops - needless to say it is deemed a little inappropriate to indicate in any way that this is a holy war.

As for me, I don't think I mind all that much about the fact there are bible quotes on the cover slide, I find that it actually matches the complete shoddiness and shambolic nature of the slide overall. Again, who makes these slides? (again... shouldn't someone get in trouble for this?), I understand that in this case my gripes are solely of an aesthetic nature, but really if I were on the mailing list for this document I would probably bin it straight away.

Head over to the article here and amaze yourself as to just how ridiculous the US Army can be.
Apologies for the pun in the title.

No comments: