Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Is being tall an advantage?

Is being tall important? Sarkozy seems to think it is...

Many studies have come to the conclusion that with all things being equal in terms of education and experience taller workers tend to earn more money and tend to attain higher ranks in their companies.

According to Steven Landsburg: Economists have known for a long time that it pays to be tall. Multiple studies have found that an extra inch of height can be worth an extra $1,000 a year or so in wages, after controlling for education and experience.

I feel that the above statement is probably true, but only to a certain extent, above a certain height, say 6'7' a person's height becomes somewhat comical and probably acts a distraction.
The average height for a man in Ireland is 5'10' - I am 6'5', an extra $7,000 coming my way perhaps...

6 comments:

Manuel said...

Well, wait til I finish my management masters. Then I'll become your manager and prove this nonsense wrong!

ed said...

Yes...

StephenCurtis said...

ed ed ed, the air must be getting a bit thin up there

ed said...

Jeez what is this, an attack against the tall folk, well fine then... It's me and Obama against you two and Sarkozy

AbbY said...

I don’t know whether height is factor of money/success but one thing is sure is that every one wanted to be taller atleast 6 feet … I missed this by 3 inch ;(

ed said...

well I briefly read a few articles discussing research into this and it seems that being tall does translate into higher wages, BUT the major thing they tlak about is "with all other things being equal" this is a rather hard thing to measure/judge.

Look around at any company though, the chances that the managing director is below the average height is pretty slim.