Saturday, October 20, 2007

The worlds economic giants

Economic output in the form of GDP or Gross Domestic Product is a form of measurement usually reserved for the evaluation of the economic health (or lack there of) of a country.
I recently came across some interesting tables that showed the largest economic entities on the planet, INCLUDING private companies (taking total revenue as a gdp substitute) and I think that it makes for interesting viewing, in 2007 out of the top 150 economic entities in the world more than half are privately owned companies, with the upper half featuring a large number of oil Majors such as BP, Exxon and Shell.
Above I have put together a short table of my own showing the top few countries, companies and Irelands position between 2005 and 2007. The United States has remained at the top spot over the two year period, However China has made leaps and bounds to close the gap between the US GDP and the second spot, and with the Asian Tiger still roaring it is more than likely that countries like China and India will overtake the US in years to come.
In 2005 Wal-Mart weighed in as the 22nd largest economic entity on the planet, the highest position of any privately owned company, but this year was overtaken by Exxon Mobil for this crown.
Ireland has dropped significantly from its 2005 position but still hold a position that is high for a country of its size. My personal favourite figure being that Hitachi (what I thought was a fairly small mediocre electronics company having a greater output than the United Arab Emirates) The Full list can be found here and is certainly educational

6 comments:

jedimasterbooboo said...

The News today? China's top three leaders have stepped down. Why? This is a very curious development. I'm a China watcher. I don't know why yet...but I'll check it out. And love this blog entry...I have a crush on you. ! Take the long way home. :)Ha.

ed said...

I'm afraid I have already promised Penelope Cruz I would marry her, so im afraid im taken.
China will conquer all... ALL

jedimasterbooboo said...

WOW a crush = marriage in Ireland? I'm moving there!

Ben K said...

That China Statistic is sick!

David said...

Hey ed, where did you get the 2005 figures? There must be some mistake, surely India and China's economies didn't grow 6-fold in 2 years?

ed said...

http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0718-worlds_largest.html

got em here but i guess they may have been misquoting figures form their sources, tis a possibility