Sunday, October 21, 2007

So tell me a little bit about (what I told you to say about) yourself

Now that the college year is underway many companies are doing what is affectionately referred to as the “milkround” whereby they visit Universities around the country advertise the positions available and try and find the graduates that suit the roles they offer. For the financial services firms the deadlines for applications are quite early, most of them with due dates before the end of October, and usually the interviews take place throughout November.

This year there has been various “interview preparation” sessions held by these companies in the college, the most recent of which was an accountancy firm prepping people for interviews with them later that month.

I can’t say that I am a huge fan of this concept and to be honest it just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that interviews were a way to decide who was best suited to a job and displayed the characteristics that you are looking for. By giving people tips on how to get past the interview surely you are effectively reducing your chances of choosing the people who naturally display what you are looking for and those that have learnt how to pretend to be the ideal candidate. This sort of procedure does however benefit the prospective employee as it gives him a fighting chance for a position because he has been told exactly what they want to hear.

I think there is some sort of phrase about not bothering to ask questions you already know the answer to, same applies to interviewing, why bother when you have already told them what to say.

No comments: