Monday, September 10, 2007

School...?

Today heralded the beginning of the end for my college days, as I start my final year in UCD I could not be more excited about what I am going to learn and experience over the next few months.

However as great as college has been for me, I still despair at the numbers of people who go to college and stay there because you are “supposed to”, and to not go or to leave would be against the norm so they just go through the motions and stay enrolled so they don’t look stupid.

I think that career councillors in schools need switch their approach from “What college course will you be doing” to telling students to think long and hard about whether college is right for them, and remind them that college is not the be all and end all of life.

Consider the following people:
the chances are that if you are reading my blog, you are using either a product made by one of the companies founded by the fine gentlemen below, all of them DROP OUTS from college... just thought I'd say.

2 comments:

jedimasterbooboo said...

Well, you're the marketing guy...think of it like this. Colleges have really marketed themselves well to make us all believe we're doomed without it. We're brainwashed, really. But my favorite time in school was college. Also, Steve Jobs "dropped out" but he dropped in on a calligraphy course that he says is responsible for computer fonts now. Bottom line...I like learning.

ed said...

Your right, the colleges have helped make dropping out seem like the end of the world, and i would imagine in america where fees are faaaaar from free, the situation is only worse.
Yeh Steve did that, but i mean thats part of what i was trying to say, but didnt do very well, is that you do not have to be registered for exams or lectures to keep learning, there are ways you can learn anything you want, mostly from .... a book.
I love college though, dont get me wrong !!!