Saturday, September 15, 2007

Population of the Century

Two pieces of information I encountered this week really hit home how big the population of Asia, and in particular China, really is. I suppose I knew this stuff before but when you see the numbers in questions expressed graphically it really makes it more comprehensible, The first was the above graph, I made this graph form some figures we were quoted in our Asian business class from a 1995 survey, so I would imagine the difference is now even larger.

The second was a “population ticker” that can be found at this site http://www.cpirc.org.cn/en/eindex.htm, it shows in real time how many people have been born this year and what the running total population is in China, which last time I checked was in the region of 1.3 Billion, I would imagine it is not perfectly accurate but based on predicted numbers, still its very impressive that a baby is being born almost every second and there has been in excess of 11 million births this year alone!

No comments: