Monday, April 16, 2007

Starbucks

I used to dislike coffee, but in recent months I've become somewhat of a fan. On my recent journey to the US i noticed that coffee in North America = Starbucks, and to be honest i have to say that I am a big fan. There are a couple of reasons why I think Starbucks is a great chain of outlets and why they are so successful.


  1. All Starbucks are the same: Whether i walk into a Starbucks in Times Square or the main street in London Ontario, the shops are basically identical, the lighting is the same, the smell is the same, and even the flooring is the same. The key here is that the customer knows EXACTLY what they are gonna get, which is a reassuring thing.

  2. There are ALOT of options: There are so many variations of coffee on a Starbucks menu that once you get bored of one you can migrate to liking another type. Of course if you are like the comedian Denis Leary and are somewhat of a coffee traditionalist this may infuriate you, as it is almost impossible to get a "coffee flavoured coffee"

  3. You get ALOT of coffee: nothing worse than getting a small cup of coffee, when i buy coffee i want to completely fill myself up with the caffeiney goodness, order a VENTI size coffee in the US and you'll know what a large coffee really is.

  4. They are easy to find:Anywhere you could ever want a coffee, Starbucks will be there, this was hit home to me in Manhattan where you could within a five minute walk see about seven Starbucks outlets. Somehow Starbucks seemed to have managed to open an outlet in Beijings "forbidden city" causing a fair amount of outrage among local

I think those are some of the main reasons for the huge success of the company to date, if you haven't got a VENTI MOCHA from them yet...do.

7 comments:

Rowan Manahan said...

I am mindful of Bill Hicks' great line on coffee:

"D'you want the 42 ounce or the Large?"
"Just how big is the Large?"
"You back your car up and pop the trunk, I'll start the pump ..."
"Hmmm, I'm not so sure I want to be awake that long."

Ben Kirwan said...

I dislike this blog immensely

Macka said...

hmmm ye I'm not a fan of Starbucks, mainly cos A) it just strikes me as a coffee mcdonalds and B) I just prefer euro cafes (esp. the French, its one of the few things that country does well)

Hugo said...

awful reasons for liking starbucks ed. and bill hicks is a patronising shithead who im glad is now incapable of thought or speech.

Matt said...

tasty delicious starbucks

Jamie said...

yeah i fuckin hate bill hicks. what an asshole. not a fan of starbucks either im afraid.

David said...

hmmm, not a popular one there...